Thursday, January 22, 2015

I'm trying not to be impatient

I have just finished ordering seeds for this year's garden.

This year I am going to plant more decorative things. Last year I focused on the veggie part of the garden, and left the flower type areas to fill in as chaos allowed (wildflower seeds randomly thrown in from the year before).

I am so excited about the things I've found and ordered, so here we go:

Veggies:
Watermelon (Moon & Stars)
Tomatoes, Blondkopfchen
Tomato, Wapsipinicon (Peach)
Pepper, Alma Paprika
Melon, Delice de Table
Cucumber, Collier
Cucumber, Nippon Sanjaku Kiuri
Celery
Carrot, Danvers
Broccoli, Romanesco
Beet, Golden

Flowers:
Bells of Ireland
Globe Amaranth
Zinnias
Begonia
Foxglove
Lagurus Ovatus (Bunny Tails)
Craspedia Globosa (Drumsticks)
Creeping Thyme
Sunflowers (Sungold)
Gerbera

Purely decorative:
Broom Corn

I also have some seeds leftover from last year that I will try to plant as well. I think I may have gone a bit overboard, but I really want to plant all the things. We could always trade plants this year if there is anything here you want. I saved some of my starter trays from last year, so I will be recycling those and then getting some extra if need be. I have a grow light, but I will probably try to stick to natural light (we do have all of those south facing windows).

Some of these plants are ones I've tried before and failed at. So far I haven't been able to get a good melon (watermelon or musk melon) and we failed at our previous attempt at broccoli (damn aphids). I am continuing to stay away from squash on account of the squash bugs. I am interested to see how celery grows, and who could help but want to grow broom corn. Didn't you attempt a corn last year? This one is actually sorghum, and I don't expect to harvest anything from it... Unless we decide to make brooms for everyone for xmas.

And if you can't tell from the many flower varieties, we are going for color! Some of these flowers will grow in part to full shade, so those will be put in front, mainly begonias - those do fantastically in part shade. A couple of the others I've never tried, foxglove, and bells of ireland say they are shade tolerant so we will see.

I've also ordered a bunch of things that are tall, for fun. I can't wait to see bunny tails, drumsticks, and sunflowers. The sunflowers we are getting are not that tall, only 2ft or so, but they look so pretty.

Now to figure out where all of these things will go, and rip out a bunch of old things from the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment