Monday, January 12, 2015

A compost confession

Sigh. I have a confession to make.

I suck at composting.

I tried bokashi. I'm pretty sure I did that wrong, as it smelled bad and I ended up throwing it out. I tried just piling things in the corner of my yard - but, honestly, it's the corner that was the neighborhood kitty litter box for a while. I had a worm bin... that I put somewhere out of sight. And then slowly... forgot about them. And they died.

I know. I'm a horrible person.

So! In penance (and because I feel so badly whenever I put food stuffs in the garbage instead of a compost pile), I have purchased things! And books! And more worms!

I am going to try four methods of composting this year.

1. Worm bin. This last year, during the Amazon Lightning Deal rush, I bought this lovely Worm Factory 360 WF360G Worm Composter. Last week, I purchased 2000 red wriggler worms for the bin. They should arrive some time this week. They will be living under my kitchen counter (I hope), so that I will not neglect them.

2. Bokashi. I bought an actual kit this time, with pre-made Bokashi bran. I bought this one: SCD Probiotics K100 All Seasons Indoor Composter Kit, Tan Bucket with Bokashi 

3. Compost pile outside. Especially for the garden refuse and such.

4. Buried waste.


I bought this cool gadget: Green Cycler Manual Kitchen Compost Shredder. I'm hoping that this will make it easier to break down the food scraps into small pieces to go into the worm bin, the bokashi bucket, the compost pile, and the buried waste.

Will I be successful in finally incorporating regular composting into my life? I hope so. I don't want to toss onion or carrot tops, banana peels, or apple cores into the garbage anymore. And if I can make Bokashi work, I can also do something better with the leftovers from my kids' plates. Because that is a sure inevitability with little kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment