Thursday, August 28, 2014

Bitches and Hoes (and front yard pumpkins)

Hi again.

Lately, I've taken to scouring Amazon Kindle for free books. Especially gardening books, cookbooks, and home improvement books. I can't help it. They're free. And they're rather small, so I can download a whole bunch of them. I can even pick up children's books and send them to the kids' tablets - even though they never willingly open the Kindle app on their own - with just one click.

I'm also listening to a lot of Takénobu. He is just.. mmm. delicious. Especially Shady Grove, from his first album, Introduction. And, Carolyn, he's uploaded the sheet music for this song! You can grab it from here.


I think my gardening style could best be described as 'Experimental'. Last year, I planted one red okra - mostly because my Jason said he didn't like okra, and it brought me great amusement to try and grow one - and it grew quite well. This year, I planted 4, one perished, and the other three are producing almost daily. The other day we roasted some okra with olive oil and salt in a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes. They were delicious.

I worry that my melons, cucumbers, and squash are trying to take over the planet - or, at least, my back yard.

I planted a few varieties of cucumber, though my favorite is the Armenian Cucumber. So delicious.

The melons aren't ripe yet, but there are several cantaloupes on the vines. How many are too many? Will they all ripen? I don't know. But I'll let you know when I find out.

I also planted some pumpkins in my front yard. I finally dug up the space behind the big pine tree. This fall, I'm going to plant two apple trees, move the blueberries between them, and then plant as many tulips as I can fit between. But until then, I thought I would try to grow some pumpkins.

They are doing pretty well, so far. Only tiny squashes growing, but many flowers. I'm loving the bamboo teepees (basically 3 bamboo sticks + green jute twine in a teepee style). I do wonder what my neighbors think...

The pumpkin bamboo teepees. This looks more neat and confined than the back garden.


We totally need to write a gardening book. I propose that we call it Bitches and Hoes: A Gardening Guide for Chicks Everywhere. Or.. something like that.

1 comment:

  1. I think experimental also best describes my gardening methods. I see what works, shrug my shoulders at the things that don't, and make aspirations for next year. I'll have to snag some pictures of my garden. It is also exploding with insanity.

    The raspberries are shooting up canes that are trying to take over the entire garden, and it's a challenge to shimmy around and through them to get to the green beans and the coriander.

    I'm starting to think that dill is just as noxious of a weed as mint. I grew it once (2-3 years ago) and let it go to seed. Now it grows every where, in every box, and even through the rock filled areas. I let some of it grow, and even harvested a gallon zip lock bag of seeds for culinary use that I will never go through.

    The kale is looking mighty fine. I harvested it once and made kale chips. Next I will try our favorite: pan seared.

    One plant that is my favorite when it grows as volunteer is basil. I have a very large and lovely patch next to a rose bush (not sure how the seeds got there) that I can harvest whenever I need. I usually send Morgan to the yard to find the prettiest leaves.

    the other way to describe my garden this year is hodgepodge. I put one type of cucumbers in a box, and those are growing great. The other two types I threw into the slopes and those have yielded so far one ripe white cucumber. It tasted no different from normal, but looks cool. I will grab some pictures of the next ripe one I find.

    I also just threw in the melons I grew, and so far only one vine seems to be doing anything and has 2-3 little watermelons. Those are the golden midgets, but I'm not sure how to tell if they're ripe.

    Tomatoes have been a bit dissapointing this year. Next year I will plant much much earlier, and I'm already starting to save up milk jugs to use as mini greenhouses for when I plant in April dammit!

    Only two of the tomato species are really producing, one is the yellow pear and the other is a black cherry. Both are delicious, but I desperately want to try a hillbilly potato or kellogg's breakfast.

    I LOVE the pumpkin teepees! We aren't technically allowed to grow veggies in the front yard (stupid HOA) but I've seen a few homes in the neighborhood that do anyway. Maybe we will break a few rules next year...

    So this Takenobu guy sounds kinda familiar. I must have heard some of his songs pop up on pandora. He is so good! The folksy ones are so unique on the cello. Super jealous of the electric setup. Just one of the many projects I will continue to dream about.

    Speaking of which, I would love to corroborate on a gardening book. I don't neccessarily feel edumacated enough to accomplish much though. Perhaps we could write something in satire with some tiny slivers of actual wisdom smattered here and there.

    ReplyDelete