Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Garden photos and plans!

This year, I've endeavored to double my garden space, and to grow more things! So we started by disassembling half of the garden boxes, and rebuilt them longer and larger, so that they have more space to grow. Here is the horrible before photo:

Oh, the horror. Old cardboard, dirt, weeds. Very sad.

And here is the after photo (with wood chips added):

Much prettier!
We also spread 12+ cubic yards of wood chip around the backyard. It really needed it, as the naked dirt/weeds looked atrocious. Here are some before shots:

Sad picnic table. Weeds. Tree droppings.

The playset looks like it landed in a bad neighborhood.

And some after shots:

Picnic shot from the other direction. Much prettier, yes?

At least the ground looks better!

The yard to-do list is still terribly long, but at least it no longer looks like a bloody disaster area. I'd love to re-do the fence, but I doubt that expense is in the cards this year. We need to talk to our neighbors anyway, as it is a shared fence.

With some irrigation work, I can also add a few planters and small garden boxes in the back. I'll get there. This weekend I plan to work on my still-very-sad side yard area. More photos soon, I hope.

I'll also post more photos as my garden boxes get filled with plants. We've already planted more strawberries, black/raspberries, onions, leeks, cabbage, carrots, beets... waiting for consistently warm weather before my tomatoes, peppers, cukes, and squash go outside. Come on sunny days!

1 comment:

  1. I love the wood chips! All you are missing is a couple of really tall evergreens and then you are totally living in the northwest :)

    I am getting so itchy to plant stuff. Most of my plants are still super tiny and I don't know if I need to feed them or what. They get plenty of water and sunlight. At least they are not leggy. The tomatoes are stout and fuzzy, just small.

    I have an idea that I may turn both of my slopes into melon/cuke central and just let them go crazy. I would love it if I could have more melons than I can personally handle.

    ReplyDelete