Sunday, March 9, 2014

Ladies, the gardening has begun

I have put my peas and carrot seeds in the ground, and most of the boxes are ready to go. I had some wonderfully smelly compost to mix in with the existing soil. Almost all of the compost is what I made over the winter using my stinky indoor composter. It doesn't produce an excessive amount, but what it did make filled a trash bag that I had sitting on my back porch. I think it was enough to re-enrich all of the garden boxes.

Next step is to move over a support from a box that doesn't need it to the box that has peas planted. The peas I purchased said they will grow 10' tall so support is a must. We shall see how tall they in fact grow.

It is also time to plant beets, so I need to find some or purchase some new ones. The ones I did last year were a variety of white, spiral, yellow and standard. I think this year I just want some normal beets.

Also, I have tulips coming up in the back yard that I planted late last fall. I hope to not utterly kill them this year as must have happened to my previous ones.

The rose bushes have been severely pruned. The irises are shooting up in their new locations. The clover and grass are starting to green up a bit.

I guess this is spring then?

1 comment:

  1. I have beets to share, if you want! We should get together and swap seeds.

    I started my Leeks under grow lights a couple weeks ago. I'll be starting the broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, etc this weekend (I hope).

    No growing outside yet for me. I will be moving around the boxes in two weeks, and then I'll plant outside. I'm hoping it doesn't get too hot too fast.

    ReplyDelete