Tuesday, August 20, 2013

School and Garden


It's Morgan's first day back at school, and starting second grade.

Here we are enjoying our last day of freedom before school, at the park.

Updated, with Hank's first day of Preschool!


And now some garden fun. 

Here is the obligatory tomato salad. We eat these quite regularly during tomato season.
It consists of tomatoes, garlic sliced thin, basil, olive oil, and salt.

A cheesy chicken casserole I threw together. Several of the ingredients came from the garden:
tomatillos, big yellow tomatoes, bell peppers, eggplant, herbs (sage, thai basil, cilantro),
and also some mushrooms, chicken and cheese that came from the fridge. 
It was good, but the kids didn't care much for the veggies.

Big beautiful swiss chard

The smallish tomatoes that we picked yesterday

The bigger tomatoes that we picked. These will all go into making a roasted sauce, except for the yellow one and green stripey one. Those are best eaten straight up.



3 comments:

  1. Ok, what is the yellow and green stripey tomato called? I have that, too, but I cannot remember the name of the tomato.

    I think my tomato bounty is a little behind yours. I've been picking tiny tomatoes every day, but just barely started getting the big ones. I picked 3 big yellow (but ripe) tomatoes yesterday (also cannot remember the name of them, darnit.) But I have 8 or so pumpkins growing, at least one of which should be pretty good sized for a first year garden.

    And the armenian cucumbers started giving fruit. Those are GOOD! I've been eating cherry tomatoes and sliced armenian cukes with salt and balsalmic vinegar (technically cheating, but hey).


    I will post pics this week! The skyfort pics were delayed by the three movies we saw this weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and the kids look great! I love Morgan's Hello Kitty bag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't remember what the tomato is called, but it made an excellent sandwich. Which reminds me, I need to start posting my sandwich bread recipes.

    ReplyDelete